The Tesla Model 3 has been announced as the New Car of the Year 2020, according to a consumer vote featuring the views of over 181,000 car owners for the fourth annual Auto Trader New Car Awards.
With more electric cars on our roads than ever before, it’s no surprise that an EV has taken the top spot this year. Tesla’s applauded Model 3 has proved to be an aspirational favourite with the public, beating off stiff competition from the likes of Kia Niro and Porsche Macan for Best New Car.
The Auto Trader New Car Awards are decided by real car owners voting to decide the winner of 18 categories. This year, over 181,000 car owners took part in the judging process between August 2019 and March 2020, making it the largest awards to date for Auto Trader.
The winners represent the consumer champions of the new car market, based on the honest opinions of those who have bought, driven and lived with their new cars. Winners of the awards will be promoted on Auto Trader, the UK and Ireland’s largest digital automotive marketplace, which attracts an average of 50 million cross platform visits a month.
This year also sees the introduction of a brand-new award for best luxury car. The ‘Rory Reid’ award, judged solely by TV presenter and Auto Trader’s own YouTube Director Rory Reid, has been given to the Audi S8.
The winners of the Auto Trader New Car Awards 2020 are:
1. New Car of the Year: Tesla Model 3
2. Best Car for Families: Volvo XC60
3. Best Car for City Drivers: Nissan Qashqai
4. Best Value New Car: Dacia Duster
5. Best Car for Long Distances: Volkswagen Golf
6. Most Fun Car to Drive: Mazda MX-5 RF
7. Best Car for New Drivers: Mercedes-Benz A-Class
8. Best Car for Dog Owners: Skoda Karoq
9. Best 7-Seater: Volvo XC90
10. Best Car for Towing: Kia Sorento
11. Most Loved Car: BMW 3 Series
12. Best Hybrid Car: Lexus NX 300h
13. Best Electric Car: Tesla Model 3
14. Most Loved Brand: Mini
15. Most Reliable Brand: Skoda
16. Best Utility Vehicle: Volkswagen Amarok
17. Car Brand with the Best Tech: Jaguar
18. Best Value Brand: MG
19. Best luxury car / Rory Reid award: Audi S8
Consumers were asked to rate their cars according to 16 different criteria, from reliability and performance to appearance and running costs. They were also asked about their overall satisfaction with their car and how likely they would be to recommend it to others.
Erin Baker, Auto Trader’s editorial director, said: “In today’s ‘new normal’, we are seeing higher demand for cars as the public seek to avoid public transport wherever possible. So it’s more important than ever to help car buyers, providing them with the right information and advice. There are a host of factors that will impact their decision, from value for money to the in-car tech, and even the range of an EV if they’re considering going down the electric route. The New Car Awards are a brilliant way of helping to inform these choices.”